Cancer Biology & Genetics Program
The Joan Massagué Lab
We are interested in metastasis, the cause of 90% of cancer deaths. The lab investigates metastatic stem cells and their stromal niches. The role of immune regulatory and regenerative signals, particularly TGF-β, is of interest. General as well as organ-specific mediators of metastasis are under investigation. We are defining the phenotypic plasticity and evolution of metastatic cell populations from dormancy to outbreak, identifying drug targets, and enabling clinical trials to treat metastasis.
Joan Massagué, PhD
Chief Scientific Officer, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Director, Sloan Kettering Institute; Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Chair; Member, Cancer Biology & Genetics Program
- Joan Massagué studies the control of stem cell growth and phenotype in tumor progression, metastasis, and response to therapy.
- PhD, University of Barcelona
- U. Med Sciences Beijing
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute, NY
- Cornell/Sloan Kettering Graduate School
- 1987, University of Santiago, Spain
- Chief Scientific Officer, MSKCC (2023–)
- Director, Sloan Kettering Institute (2014–)
- HHMI Scientific Review Board (2014–)
- HHMI Investigator (1990-2013)
- Fellow, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Academy (2016)
- Pezcoller Foundation-AACR International Award for Cancer Research (2016)
- Charles Rodolphe Brupbacher Prize for Cancer Research (2015)
- National Prize for Research in Biology, Spain (2014)
- American Italian Cancer Foundation Price (2013)
- Prize in Cancer Research, Robert J. and Claire Pasarow Foundation (2011)
- Frontiers Prize in Biomedicine, BBVA Foundation (2008)
- Vilcek Prize, Vilcek Foundation (2006)
- Member, Institute of Medicine (2006)
- Award in Science and Technology, Prince Asturius Foundation (2004)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences (2000)
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1999)
- Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (1990)
- Elucidation of the TGF-beta pathway
Lab News & Events
Congratulations: Jing Hu departed in July to an faculty position at Peking University
Congratulations : Congratulations to Gabi Johnson who accepted a position with Pfizer as a Scientist in May .
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Ines Godet joined in January from Johns Hopkins University, Maryland
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Carson Kenum arrived in September from the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Catherine Bibby July arrived from Binghamton University
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Kenta Kawasaki arrived in October from Keio University School of Medicine.
Welcome to the Massague Lab : Elena Spina arrived in August from University of Calabria.
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Dylan Manuele arrived in June from the University of Rochester.
Congratulations: Our first in person lab meeting for 2021!
The Massague Lab celebrates the arrival of Zhenghan Wang’s daughter Everly!
Farewell: Weiping Shu has retired from the Massague lab after many years of fantastic service as a senior research technician. Thank you Weiping for all your contributions!
Congratulations: Harihar Basnet who departed in February as Assistant professor in the Department of Basic Medical Sciences at Tsinghua University
Welcome: Sayyed Hamed Shahoei who joined in November from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Congratulations : Lin Tian who departed in November as research investigator at the division of Biomarker Discovery, Shanghai China
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Lila Peters arrived in July from the University of Michigan
Congratulations: George Lampe departed in July to Graduate School at Columbia University.
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Jun Ho Lee joined in May from UNIST, Uslan, Republic of Korea
Welcome to the Massague Lab: Jin Suk Park joined in March from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
To learn more about available postdoctoral opportunities, please visit our Career Center
To learn more about compensation and benefits for postdoctoral researchers at MSK, please visit Resources for Postdocs
Discover career opportunities in the laboratory of Joan Massagué, Director of the Sloan Kettering Institute.
Get in Touch
Doctors and faculty members often work with pharmaceutical, device, biotechnology, and life sciences companies, and other organizations outside of MSK, to find safe and effective cancer treatments, to improve patient care, and to educate the health care community.
MSK requires doctors and faculty members to report (“disclose”) the relationships and financial interests they have with external entities. As a commitment to transparency with our community, we make that information available to the public.
Joan Massagué discloses the following relationships and financial interests:
Institute Research Biomedicine, Barcelona, Spain
Professional Services and Activities
The information published here is for a specific annual disclosure period. There may be differences between information on this and other public sites as a result of different reporting periods and/or the various ways relationships and financial interests are categorized by organizations that publish such data.
This page and data include information for a specific MSK annual disclosure period (January 1, 2022 through disclosure submission in spring 2023). This data reflects interests that may or may not still exist. This data is updated annually.