Stewart Shuman, MD, PhD
American Cancer Society Research Professor
Research FocusThe goal of my research is to understand the mechanisms and structures of enzymes that perform and regulate essential nucleic acid transactions.
- B.A. Biology (1976) Wesleyan University
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology (1983) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- M.D. (1981) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Schwer, B., Bitton, D.A., Sanchez, A.M., Bähler, J., and Shuman, S. (2014) Individual letters of the RNA polymerase II CTD code govern distinct gene expression programs in fission yeast. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, 4185-4190.
- Chakravarty, A.K., Smith, P., Jalan, R., and Shuman, S. (2014) Structure, mechanism, and specificity of a eukaryal tRNA restriction enzyme involved in self-nonself discrimination. Cell Reports 7, 339-347.
- Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2015)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology (2013)
- NIH MERIT Award (2007)
- American Cancer Society Research Professor (2005 - )
- American Society for Virology, Wolfgang Joklik Lectureship (2004)