My laboratory is focused on developing novel treatment approaches for certain leukemias and lymphomas utilizing the patient’s own immune system. Specifically this work involves the genetic manipulation of patients’ immune cells to recognize and kill their own cancer cells. This is a promising form of gene therapy.
In light of encouraging results in mouse studies, we are now testing this approach at Memorial Sloan Kettering in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia who are no longer responsive to chemotherapy. These highly innovative studies will hopefully result in a novel and successful treatment option for patients with certain forms of hematologic cancers.
Renier J. Brentjens, MD, PhD
Director, Cellular Therapeutics
Research FocusPhysician-scientist Renier Brentjens develops novel immunotherapies for leukemias and lymphomas.
EducationMD, PhD, The State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Brentjens RJ, Davila ML, Riviere I, Park J, Wang X, Cowell LG, Bartido S, Stefanski J, Taylor C, Olszewska M, Borquez-Ojeda O, Qu J, Wasielewska T, He Q, Bernal Y, Rijo IV, Hedvat C, Kobos R, Curran K, Steinherz P, Jurcic J, Rosenblat T, Maslak P, Frattini M, Sadelain M. CD19-targeted T cells rapidly induce molecular remissions in adults with chemotherapy-refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Mar 20;5(177):177ra38. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3005930.
- Brentjens et al. Tumor-targeted T cells modified to secrete IL-12 eradicate systemic tumors without need for prior conditioning. Blood. 2012 May 3;119(18):4133-41. doi: 10.1182/blood-2011-12-400044. Epub 2012 Feb 21.
- STRAP Supplemental Award, National Cancer Institute (2010-2013)
- William Lawrence Blanche Hughes Foundation Grant (2011-2016)
- CLL Global Research Foundation Grant (2009-2014) R01 Award, National Institutes of Health (2009-2014)
- Experimental Therapeutics Center Program Project Grant, National Institutes of Health (2009-2014)
- Geoffrey Beene Cancer Research Center Fund Award (2007-2009)
Read more Read less
- Experimental Therapeutics Center Program Project Grant, National Institutes of HEalth (2005-2010)
- Clinical Investigator Award, Damon Runyon Foundation (2006-2011)