The laboratory of Sloan Kettering Institute Director Joan Massagué has open positions available throughout the year. We encourage you to check back later if you don’t see something that’s right for you today.
We are seeking a Sr. Research Technician to provide laboratory support for the Massagué Laboratory in the Cancer Biology and Genetics Program. In this role, the candidate will independently manage the laboratory’s tissue culture facility while also working closely with postdoctoral fellows on their ongoing projects. This candidate is an effective communicator, action oriented, keen eye for detail and eager to take on new opportunities and challenges.
The ideal candidate will have experience performing routine laboratory procedures (tissue culture, RNA extraction, RT-PCR, Western blot) and using sterile techniques, have excellent time-management skills, and be able to operate effectively in a team setting.
A bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related fields is required. One to three years of laboratory experience with an emphasis on molecular biology and genetics is strongly preferred.
- Maintain and oversee the labs tissue culture facility. Work closely with lab members on their ongoing projects.
- Organizing and allocating space to lab members (Cold-room, -80 and -20 degree refrigerators.)
- Ordering, receiving and stocking packages for the lab
- Performing tissue culture, molecular biology techniques (bacterial cloning, viral transfection, DNA and RNA extraction, immunohistochemistry staining, Western blot, etc.)
- Conducting mouse experiments (performing injections, doing whole-body and ex-vivo imaging, monitoring animal health, performing dissection for ex-vivo studies)
- Analyzing experimental results (RT-qPCR, Western Blot, mouse imaging data, immunohistochemistry results, etc.)
- Operates lab equipment such as centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balances, scintillation counters, spectrophotometers, light microscopes and other equipment as instructed.
- Assist with the overall upkeep and maintenance of the lab which involves routine cleaning and making of stock buffers and other routine tasks as assigned.
Additionally, the candidate must be able to work independently under minimal supervision. A minimum commitment of two to three years is strongly preferred. A minimum Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Sciences (Biology/Chemistry) with 2+ years experience in a Biological Laboratory Environment.